Snap by Groupon
Last Updated: Sept 29th 2014
By using the Site, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with the practices described in this Privacy Statement, please do not provide us with your personal information or interact with the Site.
We may modify this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your account) or by means of notice on the Site prior to the change becoming effective. You can determine when this Privacy Statement was last revised by referring to the date it was "Last Updated" above.
This Privacy Statement is organized as follows:
- Types of Information We Collect
- Your Choices
- How Snap by Groupon Uses Information
- When and Why Snap by Groupon Discloses Personal Information
- How Snap by Groupon Collects Information
- Security of Personal Information
- Accessing and Correcting Personal Information
- Social Networks
- Privacy Practices of Third Parties
- Notice to Residents of Countries outside the United States of America
- Children’s Privacy
- Contact Us; California Privacy Rights and Other Countries
- Glossary of Terms
- access or use the Site;
- register and create an account with Snap by Groupon;
- redeem an offer;
- upload receipts to the Site;
- request a payment;
- create a shopping list;
- choose to use our referral services, such as Snap by Groupon’s Refer-a-Friend program;
- open or respond to our emails;
- contact customer service or use other customer support tools;
- provide information to enroll or participate in programs provided on behalf of, or together with, Business Partners;
- visit any page online that displays our ads or content;
- connect or link to any Site via social networking sites;
- post comments to Online Communities; and
- provide information to our Vendors.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to the collection of information in any way other than as listed above.
We think that you benefit from a more personalized experience when we know more about you and what you like. However, you can limit the information you provide to Snap by Groupon, and you can limit the communications that Snap by Groupon sends to you.
(a) Commercial Emails.
You may choose not to receive commercial emails from us by following the instructions contained in any of the commercial emails we send or by adjusting your email preferences through the online account you may create with us. Please note that even if you unsubscribe from commercial emails, we may still email you non-commercial emails related to your account and transactions on the Site.
(b) Cookies and Tracking.
You may manage how your browser handles Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. Browsers are different, so refer to instructions related to your browser to learn about cookie-related and other privacy and security settings that may be available. You can opt-out of being targeted by certain Third-Party Ad-Servers online using the National Advertising Initiative’s Opt-Out Tool, the About Ads Opt-Out Tool, or on TRUSTe’s site. Snap by Groupon does not currently respond to DNT signals.
(c) Device Data.
You may manage how your mobile device and mobile browser share certain Device Data with Snap by Groupon, as well as how your mobile browser handles Cookies by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
(d) Emails from Business Partners.
If you wish to opt out of receiving offers directly from our Business Partners, you can follow the opt-out instructions in the emails that they send you.
We (or our Vendors on our behalf), use information collected as described in this Privacy Statement to:
- Process your registration with the Site, including verify your information is active and valid;
- Process Receipt Information and connect such Receipt Information to your Snap by Groupon account;
- Confirm purchases of third party products and services have occurred;
- Process and mail requested payments;
- Operate, maintain and improve the Site;
- Provide you with personalized ads and offers for products and services from us and participating Business Partners;
- Evaluate your eligibility for certain types of offers, products or services that may be of interest to you, and analyze advertising effectiveness;
- Answer your questions and respond to your requests;
- Automatically send your contacts a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site if you participate in our referral services;
- Perform analytics and conduct research on our behalf and on behalf of our Business Partners;
- Communicate and provide additional information that may be of interest to you about Snap by Groupon and our Business Partners, sometimes by combining your information with information from Other Sources;
- Send you reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages, service bulletins, marketing messages, and requested information, including on behalf of Business Partners;
- Administer rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored by us or our Business Partners;
- Allow you to apply for a job or sign up for special offers from Business Partners or third parties through the Site, and to
- Enhance other information we have about you directly or from Other Sources to help us better understand you and determine your interests.
We also may use information collected as described in this Privacy Statement with your consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
- with any Snap by Groupon Affiliate who may only use the Personal Information for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement;
- with our Vendors to provide services to us and on our behalf and who are required to protect the Personal Information;
- with relevant Business Partners:
- with whom we jointly offer products and services;
- to facilitate a direct relationship with you, including in connection with any program we administer on behalf of the Business Partner;
- to enable electronic communications with you as part of a purchase, sponsored reward, offer, contest, program, or other activity in which you have elected to participate;
- to the extent you have redeemed an offer or participated in a rewards, contest or other activity or program sponsored or offered through Snap by Groupon on behalf of that Business Partner;
- with a purchaser of Snap by Groupon or any of the Snap by Groupon Affiliates (or their assets);
- to comply with legal orders and government requests, or as needed to support auditing, compliance, and corporate governance functions;
- to combat fraud or criminal activity, and to protect our rights or those of our Affiliates, users, and Business Partners, or as part of legal proceedings affecting Snap by Groupon;
- in response to a subpoena, or similar legal process, including to law enforcement agencies, regulators, and courts in the United States and other countries where we operate; or
- with your consent.
We encourage Business Partners to adopt and post privacy policies. However, their use of Personal Information obtained through Snap by Groupon is governed by their privacy policies and is not subject to our control.
We may also disclose Non-Identifiable Information:
- for the same reasons we might share Personal Information;
- with Business Partners for their own analysis and research;
- to facilitate targeted content and ads; or
- with Third-Party Ad-Servers to place our ads and/or ads of our Business Partners on the Site and on third-party sites, and to analyze the effectiveness of those ads.
You provide us with your Personal Information when you register and create an account, upload receipts, request a payment, or otherwise when you provide us with your Personal Information during your interaction with the Site. We also collect Personal Information when you contact us online for customer service and other support using self-help tools, such as email or by posting to an Online Community.
When you access these pages or open email messages, we use Pixel Tags and Web Beacons to generate a notice of that action to us, or our Vendors. These tools allow us to measure response to our communications and improve the Site’ pages and promotions.
Device Data may be collected when your device interacts with the Site and Snap by Groupon, even if you are not logged into the Site using your device. If you have questions about the security and privacy settings of your mobile device, please refer to instructions from your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
When you choose to use any referral service we may offer from time to time through the Site, we will ask you for certain information about your contacts such as their names and email addresses. We will temporarily store all of your contacts to allow you to easily invite your contacts. For the contacts you choose to invite, we will automatically send your contact a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. We store this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral service, and do not use this information for any other marketing purpose unless we obtain consent from that person or we explicitly state otherwise. For the contacts you do not invite, we will not use these contacts for any other purpose and we will delete these contacts within one week.
Snap by Groupon has implemented an information security program that contains administrative, technical and physical controls that are designed to reasonably safeguard Personal Information.
You can access and update your Personal Information and the other information you provided to us through your account created on the Site or by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Keeping your Personal Information current helps ensure that we, our Affiliates and Business Partners offer you the offers that are most relevant to you.
If you want to deactivate your Snap by Groupon account, request that we no longer use your Personal Information to provide you services, or have other questions or requests, send us an email at email@example.com. While we are ready to assist you in managing your subscriptions and deactivating your account, we cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, we are required to retain records relating to previous redemptions on the Site for financial reporting and compliance reasons.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services and to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting or audit purposes. We will retain and use your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Social Community Areas
If you choose to create a Snap by Groupon account using social networking platforms or applications, certain Personal Information will be shared with us. By allowing us to access this information, you consent to our use of your social networking information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement only addresses the use and disclosure of information by Snap by Groupon through your interaction with the Site. Other websites that may be accessible through links from the Site may have their own privacy statements and Personal Information collection, use, and disclosure practices. Our Business Partners may also have their own privacy statements. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the privacy statements provided by these other parties prior to providing them with information or taking advantage of a sponsored offer or promotion.
If you live outside the United States and you use the Site or provide us with Personal Information directly via the Site, your information will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Statement. By using the Site or giving us your Personal Information, you are directly transferring your Personal Information and Non-Identifiable Information to us in the United States. The United States may not have the same level of data protection as your jurisdiction. However, you agree and consent to our collection, transfer and processing of your Personal Information and Non-Identifiable Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement. You are solely responsible for compliance with any data protection or privacy obligations in your jurisdiction when you use the Site or provide us with Personal Information. Regardless of where we transfer your information, we still protect your information in the manner described in this Privacy Statement.
Snap by Groupon does not intend that any portion of the Site will be accessed or used by children under the age of thirteen, and such use is prohibited. The Site is designed and intended for adults. By using Snap by Groupon, you represent that you are at least eighteen years old and understand that you must be at least eighteen years old in order to create an account and purchase the goods or services advertised through the Site. We will promptly delete information associated with any account when we obtain actual knowledge an account is associated with a registered user who is not at least eighteen years old.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Statement. You can reach us online at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can reach us via postal mail at the following address:
Snap by Groupon
Attention: Privacy Office
600 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60654 USA
If you reside in Canada, you may have the right to be provided with access to Personal Information that we have collected about you and written information about our policies and practices with respect to the transfer of your Personal Information to Vendors outside Canada. E-mail us at email@example.com with questions.
Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California can obtain certain information about the types of Personal Information that companies with whom they have an established business relationship have shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes during the proceeding calendar year. In particular, the law provides that companies must inform consumers about the categories of Personal Information that have been shared with third parties, the names and addresses of those third parties, and examples of the types of services or products marketed by those third parties. To request a copy of the information disclosure provided by Snap by Groupon pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, please contact us via the email or address stated above. Please allow 30 days for a response.
Affiliate means any entity that directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with Snap by Groupon.
Business Partners means, collectively, third parties with whom we conduct business, such as manufacturers and retailers.
Cookie means a small amount of information that a web server sends to your browser that stores information about your account, your preferences, and your use of the Site. Some cookies are temporary, whereas others may be configured to last longer. "Session cookies" are temporary cookies used for various reasons, such as to manage page views. Your browser usually erases session cookies once you exit your browser. "Persistent cookies" are more permanent cookies that are stored on your computers or mobile devices even beyond when you exit your browser.
Device Data means information concerning a device you use to access, use, or interact with the Site, such as operating system type or mobile device model, browser type, domain, and other system settings, the language your system uses and the country and time zone of your device, geolocation, unique device identifier or other device identifier, mobile phone carrier identification, and device software platform and firmware information.
Non-Identifying Information means information that alone cannot identify you, including data from Cookies, Pixel Tags and Web Beacons, and Device Data. Non-Identifying Information may be derived from Personal Information.
Online Communities means, collectively, our social networking pages or accounts, forums, bulletin boards, discussion groups, chat rooms or other methods of communication that may be offered on or linked through the Site.
Other Sources means sources of information that legally provide Snap by Groupon with your information, and which are outside the scope of this Privacy Statement at the time of collection.
Personal Information means information about you that specifically identifies you or, when combined with other information we have, can be used to identify you. This includes the following types of information:
- Contact Information: your name, postal addresses, email addresses, social networking website user account names, or other addresses at which you are able to receive communications.
- Relationship Information: information you provide that enables us to determine lifestyle, interests, and activities, including location information related to your country, state/province, city, or postal/zip code; areas of interest, the types of offers that interest you, information collected through your interactions with social networks, demographic information such as gender and age range; and information about friends who refer you or whom you have referred;
- Transaction Information: information you provide when you interact with us and the Site, such as the Snap by Groupon offers you are interested in and redeem; email and other communications; and how you interact with Business Partners and our Vendors; and
- Receipt Information: information contained on receipts you upload to Snap by Groupon such as time and date of the transaction, the name and location of the store, information about the products, services and brands you purchased or returned, the prices you paid, your rewards card information (if offered by the store), details about the coupons you may have used, the total amount you spent and the method by which you paid.
Pixel Tags and Web Beacons means tiny graphic images placed on website pages or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed specific actions.
Vendors means, collectively, third parties that perform business operations on behalf of Snap by Groupon, such as transaction processing, mailing, communications services (email, direct mail, etc.), marketing, data processing and analytics, servicing, collections, or ad management.